Dos Pueblos Orchid Farm
The history of Dos Pueblos is rich. Dating back long before written records were kept. For hundreds of years, Native American tribes, the Mikiw and the Kutamu called the bluffs on either side of the canyon home. When Juan Cabrillo set anchor off the coast in 1542 he called the area Los Dos Pueblos “The Two Villages.” Today, this beautiful stretch of coastline remains, Dos Pueblos.
In 1943, Samuel Mosher of The Signal Oil and Gas Company purchased the 45,000 acres of Rancho Dos Pueblos. He transformed part of the property into the one of the largest orchid farms in the world. His prize winning orchids and exotic flowers were well known. With his degree in agriculture from UC Berkeley, Mr. Mosher developed orchid hybrids that were hardy and affordable. Dos Pueblos Orchid Company sold millions of orchids per year. Sam Mosher was a meticulous steward of the land hosting lavish dinner parties and special events for celebrities and politicians.